Join Our Philatelic Family
In today’s world of diminished expectations, it seems someone is always putting the arm on each of us to contribute. But no matter what your other affiliations are, The Philatelic Foundation deserves your support. After all, we’ve been providing a vital service to the philatelic community since 1945, with our publications and educational services, and our most public activity being the expertizing of stamps and covers for collectors, dealers and auctioneers. With our track record, it’s no wonder almost everybody says, “I’ll have to send it to the Foundation.”
Thanks to a long list of contributors, we have weathered philatelic fashions and controversies, and find ourselves at the beginning of the 21st Century still doing what we do best.
There are several ways to contribute to the educational content of our web site and elsewhere, to our publications and to our expertizing services. Some offer their expertise as unpaid consultants who help in the expertizing process; others send us items (both good and bad) which become part of our permanent reference collection. Finally, many “angels” out there are able to give money, annually or as part of an estate, which enables us to keep the doors open and our “lean and mean” expertizing machine going. Please consider the following ways in which you can be part of our “family” of contributors:
Donations of Material to the Reference Collections
We actively seek to expand our holdings of stamps and reference literature. Please call us and find out what we’re looking for in particular, or send your contributions and we’ll send you information how your “in kind” gift may be tax deductible. Keep in mind that a damaged example of a rare stamp may be worth several times as a donation what it would bring at auction.
- Genuine stamps
- Examples of “difficult” items, are always needed for comparison purposes. While our reference collection is second to none, there are always gaps to fill. To be useful, a stamp does not have to be in perfect mechanical condition or well-centered. It’s enough that it’s genuine, relatively fresh and exemplary of its type.
- Forgeries and Counterfeits
- We also seek to fill out our holdings of forgeries and counterfeits, including those of foreign material, especially when the forger is known or exceptionally skilled.
- Philatelic Literature
- Literature which can be used in the expertizing process is always wanted. While we have most of the “classic” handbooks and monographs, authors and publishers of specialized studies should keep us in mind when distributing sample copies of new works.
- Photocopies of specialized collections
- It’s tragic that so many great specialized collections have been dispersed without there being an accessible record of the treasures assembled, and the fruits of years or decades of research preserved. Do your part to preserve your philatelic heritage.
Donations of Money or Securities
Beginning with a $100.00 donation we allow contributors to send in items to be expertized without prepayment. Contributors at any level have the satisfaction of doing their part to help organized philately attain and maintain a level of unparalleled expertise. While we do not have “members,” we do have:
- $100 annual contribution entitles you to automatic billing privileges.
- $500 annual contribution entitles you to automatic billing privileges and one of the books that we have published.
- $1,000 annual contribution entitles you to automatic billing privileges and both the Opinions VII and Opinions VIII books.
- $2,500 and above annual contribution entitles you to billing privileges, both books and a dinner in New York City with the Executive Director or Chairman of the Philatelic Foundation.
Contributions may be designated to go to the Capital Fund, the Acquisitions Fund or the Education & Research Fund.
We would like to thank those of you who have shown us your support by making a donation. A list of these indiviuals may be found on our Contributors honor roll.
Donate Your Expertise
Expertise is always of use. If you have spent years in a particular vineyard, let us know who you are! We want your number in our data base, so when a question arises on your particular subject, we can call on you for help.
Something made you visit this page, so don’t hesitate! Write us a check, fax us an note, send us something for our reference collections or library. You’ll be glad you’ve become part of the family. Send correspondence to the address shown above, call us or email Larry Lyons directly here !
Remember, while there are many important general and specialized societies, The Philatelic Foundation is the only group devoted exclusively to expertizing stamps and covers, and the dissemination of information on its findings to the philatelic community. No matter what other organization you belong to, The Philatelic Foundation deserves your support.